Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Today was another good day! We had chosen to go sightseeing in the afternoon in order to sleep late. I truly admire the Chinese work ethic but not when it involves jack hammering right under our hotel room at 7 a.m.! I think I have had maybe 15 hours of sleep since Friday night. I'm a little tired and cranky. I'm trying hard not to be. Because Eric and I are only world travelers in our mind, we opted to stay in the room until we had our translator. It's very confusing to walk around here. And it's very, very cold. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast yet again. We found out there were a lot more options than we thought and we all enjoyed it. When we returned to the room we got out the legos that we had brought. Peter clapped in excitement! The kids played with them for about 2 hours. We started watching Cars 2 in Chinese while we waiting on Rita, our translator. Once we met up with Rita she mentioned the fog was dangerous today and we did not need to be outside long. That sounds nothing like the fog we are accustomed to so I now owe Amy Hood an apology. This is smog, not fog. You were right Mrs. Hood! So no sightseeing. Peter has been asking for more clothes so we asked her to help with that. We braved it and went across the way to a department store. Now this is where it was interesting. Their shopping is so different. It's divided by brands and split into little sections all over with each section having about 6 workers in that little space. Way to many workers. And they do not carry shirts like we are accustomed to. We really needed to buy Peter a few long sleeve t-shirts and one pair of jeans because he only came with what he had on. That did not happen. He ended up with lined jeans and 2 very nice polo shirts. Guess how much? $150!!! Where's Walmart when you need it? 20 minutes down the road apparently but with the bad weather and no van, well, Peter now owns some very nice clothing. Oh well! He needed it. Did I mention it's freezing here? You also buy your item, get a receipt, take the receipt back to a worker then get your item. And you have to barter. I was so very confused. We are so thankful for Rita! We came back and played with these little motorcycles that we bought. Oh, I hope you all get to see the video I sent. He loved them!! He laughed so hard. We finally broke down after that and let him play some video games. We are trying to not let him do to much so we don't set a pattern but honestly, there isn't much for us to do here. It's just to darn cold and smoggy. I'm sure the Raffray's are world traveling it but I'm a wimp! LOL I wish I had that adventurous spirit. Plus, we're still a bit tired. So let's just go with we're tired, not boring! We walked across the street, without a translator I might add!, to KFC for dinner and fed everyone for $22 including dessert. Thank you Lord!! That was needed after that shopping trip. ;-) The kids are all vegging out to games before showers. We're trying to limit, I promise! It will be easier once we are home to limit. I think. Tomorrow we are going to a lake. If the weather is ok. They are very concerned about the weather. But I do understand why. Abi was having a hard time breathing after shopping. We are enjoying our time together. Peter is a bit relaxed because we are still in "his" environment. He's still working hard on communicating with us and is willing to keep trying. I admire that. He got a big kick out of Andrew trying to speak Chinese. ;-) Until tomorrow...thank you for lifting us all up!! Please continue to do so. Selfishly, I could really use some sleep! Lift up our bonding time! Peter is active (he's our little Colin Curfman and Isaac Hill rolled into one! So he is quiet funny!!!) and his hands always need to be moving. He does not enjoy being still. I"m babbling and I'm tired...so good night and until tomorrow. We love you all!! Oh and please lift my parents (mom and stepdad) up. They were involved in an accident. They are ok, YAY!, but their car is totaled. Thanks! Loving Him, Aimee for the Akin's

1 comment:

HowardHill Vineyard said...

Can't wait to meet a mixture of Colin and Isaac :) You ready for that? Glad he has a sense of humor though! Miss yall!