Monday, January 21, 2013

Animals, Donuts, and Toys! Oh My!

Zoo day! We got up this morning so excited. Our guide told us it was a small zoo but small to her was huge to us. We only saw one part of the zoo and we were there 2 hours. We saw a panda, lions, (some who were getting a bit to friendly) red pandas, chimpanzees, cute little monkeys, huge bears, white tigers, tigers, dolphins, sea lions, and beluga whales. We decided to do the ocean show because that's one thing we can't do at our zoo. We think Peter really enjoyed that. He took picture after picture. It was a lot to take in for him also so he was very tired after that; mentally and physically. Our guide had offered to take us to eat authentic Chinese food today and we are so glad we took her up on the offer! It was fabulous!!! The dumplings, oh my! I loved them. The pork was to die for and even the venison was good. We went with another Lifeline family and had a great time. The cost was the cheapest we have had so far which shocked us because it was so good. We hung out in the room this afternoon and I may have napped. Then Peter, Andrew and I went to gardens to let Peter run then headed across the street to buy an extra piece of luggage ($32!!!) and red envelopes for Chinese New Year. We will be celebrating this each year so we are learning the traditions. I need to learn to make dumplings by February 10th. The red envelopes are for the kids. They will bring us a cup of tea and then we hand them the envelopes with money in it and give them good wishes. (Prayers for our family) We bought enough for our nieces and nephews to participate also. So Jessi, I think you should come down! ;-) We went back to the supermarket because we were out of water. Again. We decided to explore the entire thing which was five floors. The top floor had a Dunkin' Donuts and we had to try it. We bought 3 donuts and a water for $5.50. Cheapest dessert ever! Peter devoured his donut which had a custard on top of it and we all shared an oreo donut and chocolate filled donut. Yummy!! Whoever said I was going to lose weight here was crazy. I am hoping that all the walking I am doing is counteracting it. We bought a few decorations for Chinese New Year and headed to the toys. Peter has asked for the last 2 days for a telescope. I'm sure the one we bought is cheaply made and may not meet his expectations but this mommy could not say no. He kept putting his hand up and making the motion for a telescope and asking, "Mommy? In a minute?" How could I say no to that?! It also has a microscope. It's a learning tool so I am happy he is interested in learning. Abi found a Chinese Barbie set that she really wanted. I am so happy she bought a toy! She is at that in between stage and I assured her that it's ok. Then I saw it. The thing we had to buy. My nieces adore princess dolls. My niece Isabelle loves Minnie Mouse and bathing suits also. In front of me was a Chinese Barbie doll in a Minnie Mouse bathing suit!! Oh. My. Word! She had to have it! I found Penny an adorable Chinese barbie in a beautiful dress. I cannot wait to see their faces when they get them. We are really hoping to find something for our nephews soon. We have had no luck on that. So pray we find them something soon. I have five of them to buy for. I could buy for my nieces all day but there is not much for boys. So for all of you who have told me not to worry about money, maybe you should start praying that I will now stop spending! I need to remember that this is a once in a lifetime trip (according to Eric we will be back to get a little girl so maybe we will be back) and we need to buy things we cannot buy at home. Or things that are cheaper here than home. So I can justify it a bit. A bit. Tomorrow is our consulate appointment (!!!) and we are visiting the book store the Hood's told us about. Pray that all goes well at the consulate. The guide will be explaining to Peter exactly what he is signing and what will happen. He keeps asking about the airplane and how many days until we go so we think he has an understanding. Pray he signs the papers and is excited about his new life. Also pray we have no issues with his visa and our flights. Beijing has a lot of snow right now and we have noticed that flights get cancelled very easily here. Love you all and we appreciate your prayers more than you know!! Loving Him, Aimee for the Akin's

No comments: